Farmers In Need
Federal & State Assistance Packages
Federal Government Assistance Package
Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources, Barnaby Joyce announced that the Coalition Government will deliver a $579 million support package including:
- $555 million in Dairy Recovery Concessional Loans.
- $20 million to fast track the upgrade of the Macalister Irrigation District.
- $2 million to establish a commodity milk price index.
- $900,000 for an additional nine Rural Financial Counsellors in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and New South Wales.
- $900,000 for Dairy Australia’s ‘Tactics for Tight Times’ programme.
- Fast tracking Farm Household Allowance applications with 18 more Department of Human Services employees processing claims.
- Appointment of a Department of Human Services Dairy Industry Liaison Officer.
- Redirection of two Department of Human Services Mobile Service Centres to dairy regions.
Contact the Farmer Assistance Hotline on 132 316 for information about the package, which is running on extended hours from 8am to 8pm each weekday.
Victorian Government Assistance Package
The Andrews Labor Government and the Victorian dairy industry have also united to deliver a $11.4 million support package that will include:
- A major expansion of Dairy Australia’s Tactics for Tight Times and Taking Stock programs, providing specialised on farm business support to enable dairy farmers make the best decisions.
- $240,000 boost towards the Rural Financial Counselling Service, ensuring dairy farmers can get independent and confidential financial counselling.
- $220,000 for two FTE support workers at the United Dairyfarmers of Victoria (UDV) to assist farmers.
- $4.5 million has been set aside to support affected farming communities and will consult on how these funds are best spent.
The Victorian Government also announced a $1.5 million assistance package for South Gippsland to support affected farmers and the local community. This assistance will increase counselling services for the region and financial grants. For more information contact the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources on 136 186.