Draft Floodplain Management Strategy
Do you know where the local flooding hot spots are in your region, and have ideas on how to manage them? The WGCMA needs your help!
The West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority (WGCMA) wants your feedback on the draft West Gippsland Floodplain Management Strategy. The strategy is available for comment until the 23 June 2017.
Tarwin Lower and Port Welshpool have been identified as having a significant flood risk.
Possible flood mitigation actions for the strategy include:
- Develop individual Flood Guides for high priority areas, specifi cally Fish Creek and Foster
- Investigate undertaking a flood study for Fish Creek
- Continue with the Stockyard Creek Foster flood study
- Proceed with South Gippsland Shire Council and Wellington Shire Council’s investigation into the impacts of climate change on sea walls
- Investigate connecting the existing stream gauges to a monitoring / forecasting system to improve flood warnings
- Improve the Total Flood Warning System by developing detailed fl ood maps for the Tarwin River, Fish Creek, Franklin River, Agnes River, Nine Mile Creek and Tidal River and share these with the community.
- Investigate the installation of a warning system for fl ooding over Stewart and Dunlops roads near Middle Tarwin.
For more information about the strategy please visit Flood Plain Strategy.