The Prom Country Visitor Information Centre is an integral part of the promotion of tourism in South Gippsland. The level of professionalism of the Visitor Information Centre (VIC) therefore has a major effect on how visitors view the region as a tourist destination.
The Prom Country Visitor Information Centre is accredited through the Australian Tourism Accreditation Program. As an Accredited VIC we meet specific criteria ensuring we are committed to exceeding expectations with great customer service and operate at the highest standards of business practice. The VIC’s are the ‘shop front’ for the brand, which provides a guarantee of quality information, reliability, professionalism and work to a code of ethics. The brand is made recognisable by the yellow italic “i” sign on the blue background.
Tourism Ambassadors are the first point of contact for many visitors arriving to the region and provide excellence in customer service by using appropriate, current and up-to-date visitor information on the South Gippsland region, in a professional and friendly manner, both in person, by email and phone.
- Promote South Gippsland visitor experiences
- Greeting customers in a polite and friendly manner
- Attend to telephone and walk-in enquiries in a friendly and professional manner and passing accommodation enquiries onto the staff member
- Re stocking brochures
- Adhere to the Prom Country Visitor Centre procedures and the Prom Country Code of Practice
- Attend organised familiarisation tours
- Attend volunteer training as required
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- A passion for, and some knowledge of, South Gippsland visitor experiences and its tourism industry
- Excellent communication and customer service skills in order to provide outstanding customer service to both visitors to the centre, and by phone.
- Good written and oral communication skills in dealing with visitors and team members
- The ability to safely participate in the duties and responsibilities of the role
To ensure the VIC is adequately staffed and volunteers both retain and update their product knowledge, volunteers are asked to be available (at a minimum) for one three hour shift per week. The VIC operates from 10am to 4pm seven days per week (closed Christmas Day), from 1 December to 30 April each year. For the VIC to be adequately staffed there needs to be two ambassadors on duty each day from 10am to 4pm.
This position reports to the Coordinator Tourism Development
- Tourism Ambassadors will, at times, work without direct supervision
- Tourism Ambassadors are required to undergo a police check
- Volunteering involves standing for the majority of the three hour shift
- Tourism Ambassadors are supplied with a name badge and must ensure they present a professional image
- Appointment as a volunteer is subject to a three month probationary period.