Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

COVID-19 Support Package

Find out more about Council's $2M COVID-19 Community Support Package.

Find out more

Footpath Trading Permit

Under the Victorian Government’s “coronavirus roadmap to recovery” businesses are encouraged to use outdoor space to ensure staff and customer safety and to maximise seating numbers.

Recently it was announced that "existing pubs, restaurants, cafes and other food and drink venues can use existing outdoor spaces, as well as nearby parks and public land to accommodate and serve patrons without the need for a planning permit."

Although this will be the case for some businesses there are other areas where theses temporary controls will not apply.

For example you will still need to apply for Liquor Licencing and for Council permits to trade on the footpath, public land or road reserves. We would encourage you to submit an application for a Footpath Trading Permit so that you can outline your proposal. Our Business Support team will then work with other teams to expedite your application.

Please note: 

  • Footpath Trading Permits have also been waived until 31 July 2021 as part of the COVID-19 Community Support Package.
  • The turnaround for temporary liquor license applications has also been fast-tracked from up to eight weeks down to just three business days.