Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

Live stream today's Council meeting

The Council Meeting is being streamed live today at 2.00pm.

Click here to view

What approvals do I need? - Carport and Garage

Description Carport/Garage (on land with a house that already exists)
Do I need approval?

Carport/Garage does not require a planning permit in a Residential zone as long as a dwelling already exists on the land. Planning approval may be required for Carport/Garage in all other zones.
Please note: where applicable a planning approval should be obtained prior to submitting a building permit.
You can talk to a planner in person or call them on 5662 9200.

A building permit is required for the construction of a Carport/Garage.

If a septic tank system could be affected by the building or driveway access then a Report and Consent or Permit to Alter a Wastewater System should be obtained from Council.

What do I need to submit?

Completed planning permit application form and checklist
Relevant fees (refer to the Planning Fee Schedule)
A current copy of title for the land including, the title plan and a copy of any covenants or 173 agreements on the title (no more than 60 days old).
Three (3) copies of site plan drawn to scale (preferably at 1:100 or 1:200) showing setbacks to the front, side and rear boundaries and the extent of any cut/fill (earthworks).  
Three (3) copies of floor plans and elevations drawn to scale (preferably 1:100 or 1:200) showing the dimensions of the building, height of the building from natural ground level, colours and finishes of any building materials. Please note: engineering/structural drawings DO NOT constitute an elevation plan.

Contact a private Building Surveyor to obtain a building permit.

Submit Report and Consent or Septic Tank Application to Alter with appropriate fee (refer to Wastewater Fee Schedule).

Related documents