Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

Tourism & Directional Signage


If you are considering starting or purchasing a tourism business, Council's Tourism Officer will be able to assist you with:
  • reports that identify current and potential visitor markets to the region
  • data on the economic impact of tourism to South Gippsland
  • identifying permits that may be required for your business (e.g. permits applicable to B&Bs)

Road Signage

Tourist road signage provides visitors with direction to:

  • attractions
  • accommodation
  • other facilities or locations of interest

The type of signage that may be available to your business will depend on whether the road is Council or VicRoads owned, and the location of the business. Tourist road signs are directional. They do not include advertising signs for which a planning permit is required or A-frame signage for which a local laws permit is required. Set criteria must be met to qualify for tourist road signage.


Marketing is a key component of any tourism business. Council operates two accredited Visitor Information Centres and supports the Leongatha Community & Visitor Information Centre. Council also works closely with Prom Country Regional Tourism, an industry association that promotes the South Gippsland region.

Visitor Information Centres are located in Korumburra and Foster and are open from 9am - 5pm, 7 days per week (closed Christmas Day). Phone 1800 630 704.

Prom Country Regional Tourism (PCRT) produces publications such as the Prom Country official Touring Map and Visitor Guide and provides external marketing to help attract visitors to the region. Businesses can join PCRT and receive a number of benefits to help increase the profile of their business.