COVID Office Hours
Following COVID-19 restrictions, Council offices will re-open from 10.00am to 2.00pm Monday to Friday. Telephone, email and website inquiries are available from 8.30am to 5.00pm.
See full details
What approvals do I need?
What approvals do I need? - Signage
A sign is an advertisement and any structure built specifically to support it.
|Do I need approval?
The Planning Scheme contains a specific Clause relating to advertising signs (Clause 52.05). This clause contains four (4) categories of limitations on signs as well as some exemptions. Each zone in the Planning Scheme specifies which of these categories (limitations) apply in that zone. A planning permit may be required depending on the category, type and size of the proposed sign.
If you are unsure or would like to talk to a planner you can call (03) 5662 9200 or please click here to book a time to meet with a Planner.
Please note: where applicable, a planning permit should be obtained prior to submitting a building permit.
A building permit is not required for signs that meet the following exemption:
- Less than 3m from the street alignment and no more than 1m above ground level; or
- Not less than 3m from the street alignment and does not exceed a height of 8m above ground level and 6m2 display area.
|What do I need to submit?
Completed Planning Application Form and checklist
Relevant fees (refer to the Planning Fee Schedule)
- A current copy of title for the land, no more than 60 days old
- Three (3) copies of a site context report, using a site plan (1:100 or 1:200 in A4 or A3 size), photographs or other methods to accurately describe:
- the location of the proposed sign on the site or building and distance from property boundaries.
- the location and size of existing signage on the site including details of any signs to be retained or
- the location and form of existing signage on abutting properties and in the locality.
- the location of closest traffic control signs.
- identification of any view lines or vistas that could be affected by the proposed sign.
- The dimensions, height above ground level and extent of projection of the proposed sign.
- The height, width, depth of the total sign structure including method of support and any associated structures such as safety devices and service platforms.
- Details of associated on-site works.
- Details of any form of illumination including details of baffles and the times at which the sign would be illuminated.
- The colouring, lettering style and materials of the proposed sign.
- The size of the display (total advertising area including all sides of a multi-sided sign).
- The location of any corporate logo box and proportion of display areas occupied by such a logo box.
- For animated or electronic signs, a report addressing the decision guidelines at Clause 52.05-3 relating to road safety.
- Any landscaping details.
For any sign over 18 metres in area:
- A description of the existing character of the area including built form and landscapes. A description of the existing character of the area including built form and landscapes.
- The location of any other signs over 18 square metres, or scrolling. Electronic or animated signs within 200 metres of the site.
- Any existing identifiable advertising theme in the area.
- Photo montages or a streetscape perspective of the proposed sign.
- Level of illumination including:
- lux levels for any sign on or within 60 metres of a Road Zone, Residential Zone, Public Use Zone or
Business 5 Zone.
- the dwell and change time for any non-static images.
- The relationship to any significant or prominent views and vistas.
Contact a private Building Surveyor to obtain a building permit.