COVID-19 Support Package
Find out more about Council's $2M COVID-19 Community Support Package.Find out more
- Bair Street Project
Bair Street Project
Update Week Beginning 23 November 2020 (subject to change)
Streetscape works will continue, including:
• Demolition and concreting works on the south side of McCartin St from Bair St to Gollers Lane
• Road surfacing and linemarking in Bair St between McCartin St and Lyon St
• Trenching works on the north side of Young St from Canty Lane to Bair St
Road closure Tuesday 24 November 2020 (weather dependent)
Bair Street will be closed to traffic between Lyon St and McCartin St on Tuesday 24 November, to enable construction of new road surfacing.
Detours will be in place during the road closure. Through traffic is encouraged to seek alternate routes.
Our contractor will help redirect traffic and facilitate business deliveries. All shops will remain accessible via footpaths.
If works cannot be completed on Tuesday due to bad weather, they will occur later in the week.
The pedestrian crossing with signals in Bair Street, Leongatha have been removed.
The removal enables current streetscape works to progress and will help with the creation of a new pedestrian (zebra) crossing. Alternative crossing locations will be made available until the new permanent crossing becomes operational in the coming weeks.
Project Update – September 2020
Streetscape works to commence
The contract for the next stage of the Bair Street Project has been awarded.
Local contractor BJ's Earthmoving will be completing the streetscape redevelopment (civil works) which includes:
• Renewal and redirection of stormwater infrastructure;
• Renewal and reconfiguration of road and footpath pavements;
• Reconfiguration of parking to a combination of angle and parallel parking;
• Reduction to a narrower, single traffic lane in each direction;
• Increased footpath widths;
• Addition of raised zebra pedestrian crossings;
• Removal of pedestrian activated signals.
Civil work is expected to commence from 14 September and will continue through to mid-2021.
There will be some overlap with the electrical stage of the project - and a little more than intended due to the unfortunate cancellation of the second electrical outage on 30 August. A rescheduled outage has been tentatively booked for Sunday 4 October.
Project Update – April 2020
Electrical works to commence
The next stage of the Bair Street Project will be starting soon. We were hoping that construction would commence at the end of March - but in light of current events - this date has been pushed back slightly. Works are now expected to commence mid-April (just after Easter). We hope that this date will proceed to plan, but we will be keeping a close eye on the advice provided by State and Federal Governments.
The next stage of the project is the electrical works which will primarily involve the relocation of overhead power lines underground and the upgrade of street lighting. Converting premises to the underground supply arrangement will require internal electrical works for some buildings. The electrical works contract will be completed by Downer Utilities.
We will be working closely with the contractor to minimise disruptions to businesses and to make sure that everyone can still get to the shops. However, there will be construction noise and debris in the street, and sections of footpaths and parking will be impeded throughout the works.
We had planned to run a drop-in session so that people could call in and ask questions about the next stage of the project before it began, but as face-to-face meetings are no longer possible we would encourage you to forward any questions you may have to: email@example.com
Project Update – November 2019
- Water main and service works are expected to be completed by South Gippsland Water in 2019.
- Minimal disruption to businesses and shoppers is expected during the Christmas trading period, as there are no significant works planned for the project during December 2019.
- The next stage of works is the relocation of the electrical mains and services from overhead to underground and the upgrade of street lighting. This work is planned to start in early 2020 and is anticipated to take up to six months to complete.
- The contract for the civil construction will be awarded in early 2020 and works will follow on from the electrical scope. The civil construction works include, reconfiguration of stormwater drainage, realignment of kerbs and parking bays, construction of pedestrian crossing points, renewal of footpaths, and reconstruction of the road pavement.
What will the project involve?
Council has recently secured funding from the State and Federal Governments and is now in a position to commence the Bair Street upgrade works. The works follow on from consultation with the Leongatha community over the past few years.
The Bair Street redevelopment will involve:
• Footpath improvements
• Relocation of overhead powerlines underground
• New energy efficient street lighting
• New bins, seats, bike racks and landscaping
• Water main and service line renewals by South Gippsland Water
• Reduction of lanes of traffic from four to two
• Replacement and improvements of drainage network
How much will the project cost?
The project will cost $5.4M. With $2.7M provided by the Federal Government, $1.5M from the State Government's Fixing Country Roads program and $1.2M from Council.
How long will the project take?
It is expected that the redevelopment will take up to two years to complete.