COVID Office Hours
Following COVID-19 restrictions, Council offices will re-open from 10.00am to 2.00pm Monday to Friday. Telephone, email and website inquiries are available from 8.30am to 5.00pm.
See full details
What approvals do I need?
What approvals do I need? - Fencing
A fence is a structure or enclosure such as a barrier, screen or wall.
|Do I need approval?
A fence does not require a planning permit, except for in the following circumstances:
- The land is zoned General Residential Zone or Township Zone and you wish to construct or extend a front fence within 3 metres of a street, and:
- The lot is less than 300 square metres, and
- The fence is greater than 2m high and the street is a Road Zone Category 1 or 1.5 high on any other
- The land is zoned Mixed Use Zone and you wish to construct or extend a front fence within 3 metres of a street, and:
- The fence associated with 2 or more dwellings on a lot or residential building, and
- The fence is greater than 2m high and the street is a Road Zone Category 1 or 1.5m high on any
- The land is within certain overlays such as the Environmental Significance Overlay, Significant Landscape Overlay, Heritage Overlay, Design and Development Overlay or Land Subject to Inundation Overlay and the proposed fence does not meet any of the relevant exemptions.
If you are unsure or would like to talk to a planner you can call (03) 5662 9200 or please click here to book a time to meet with a Planner.
Please note: where applicable, a planning permit should be obtained prior to submitting a building permit.
A building permit is not required for a chain wire fence surrounding a tennis court and fences that meet the following exemption:
- Not exceeding 2m in height; and
- Not exceeding 1.5m in height when within 3m of a street alignment and which is not constructed of masonry, concrete or the like; and
- Not exceeding 1.2 m in height when within 3 m of a street alignment and is constructed of masonry, concrete or the like; and
- Not exceeding 1 m in height above the footpath when within 9 m of a point of intersection of street alignments
A building permit is required for all other fences.
|What do I need to submit?
Completed Planning Application Form and checklist
Relevant fees (refer to the Planning Fee Schedule)
- Three (3) copies of site plan drawn to scale (preferably 1:100 or 1:200 on A4 or A3 paper).
- Three (3) copies of elevations drawn to scale (preferably 1:100 or 1:200 on A4 or A3 paper), showing the height and type of material to be used.
Contact a private Building Surveyor to obtain a building permit.