Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

What approvals do I need? - Change of Use

Description A change of use refers to any modification made to the approved land or building use for a particular site, or specific tenancy or unit.
Examples include from a 'shop' to a 'restaurant' or a ‘house’ to a ‘B & B’.
Do I need approval?

Planning approval may be required for Change of use.
Please note: where applicable a planning approval should be obtained prior to submitting a building permit.
You can talk to a planner in person or call them on 5662 9200.

A building permit is always required from change of use.

If the change of use is likely to increase the amount of wastewater treated by the Septic system, a Report and Consent or a Permit to Alter a Septic Tank System may be required.

Food, Health or Accommodation Registration
If the change of use is in relation to an existing or proposed food premises, Beauty Therapy, Tattooist, Skin Penetration or Accommodation Premises then it may affect or require a Registration under the Food Act or Public Health & Wellbeing Act.

What do I need to submit?

Completed Planning Application Form and checklist
Relevant fees (refer to the Planning Fee Schedule )

  • A report detailing the changes proposed (this may only need to be one page however the more information you give us the easier it will be to determine your application)
  • A current copy of title for the land, no more than 60 days old
  • 3 x copy of site plan - drawn to scale at not less than 1:200 (showing setbacks to the front, side and rear boundaries, details of existing and proposed car parking if the application is in relation to a business change) at least one copy to be A3 or smaller. Check out our Siting and Design Guide
  • 3 x copy of floor plan - drawn to scale of 1:100 or 1:200 at least one copy to be A3 or smaller
  • 3 x copy of elevations - drawn to scale of 1:100 or 1:200, showing the height to eaves and height to roof pitch (engineering drawings DO NOT constitute an elevation) at least one copy to be A3 or smaller

Contact a private Building Surveyor to obtain a building permit

Submit Report and Consent or Septic Tank Application to Install or Alter with appropriate fee (refer to Wastewater Fee Schedule).

Food, Health or Accommodation
Contact Council’s Environmental Health Team to discuss your proposal. You may then be required to submit details of your proposal including plans of the design and fit-out of the premises and the required application fee.
When your premises are nearing completion you will you will then need to contact your EHO to arrange for inspection and registration prior to commencing operation.

Related documents