- Great Southern Rail Trail - Precincts Development
Great Southern Rail Trail - Precincts Development
The Great Southern Rail Trail Railway Precincts Development Project involves undertaking significant upgrades to the railway sites at Leongatha and Korumburra in order to improve the economic vitality of each town centre and to assist in attracting visitors to the towns and to the overall Shire.
The project is identified by Council as a priority initiative to assist in securing the ongoing development of South Gippsland. The development will complement the extension of the rail trail from Leongatha to Nyora.
Project Update - April 2022
South Gippsland Shire Council received confirmation that the State Government will support the development of the Leongatha and Korumburra railway precincts.
The funding was allocated under the Regional Infrastructure Fund – Round Two and will see an additional $2 million be added to the Commonwealth Government’s $3 million funding through the Building Better Regions Fund. South Gippsland Shire Council are contributing $1 million to this project, bringing the total to $6 million.
The upgrades intend to re-imagine the use of the land within the Leongatha and Korumburra railway station precincts to enhance activity in the centre of the towns and increase community open space. This upgrade includes:
- Delivering new public open space in Leongatha and Korumburra;
- Creating additional car parking for the towns;
- Constructing a pedestrian footbridge to connect to the main street of Leongatha;
- Creating new path connections to business precincts;
- Delivering new playground equipment;
- Planting new trees and landscaping; and
- Building new public amenities for community members and users of the Great Southern Rail Trail.
The first element of the project to be delivered will be the construction of new car parking in the Leongatha precinct, which is set to commence in the coming weeks.
This three-year project will complement the extension currently being undertaken on the Great Southern Rail Trail, which will see it extend approximately 130 kilometres from Nyora to Yarram.
To view a media release on this update, please click here.
- Delivery of approximately 7,855m2 (Leongatha) and 10,400m2 (Korumburra) of new public open space;
- Additional car parks;
- Pedestrian footbridge to main street of Leongatha;
- New path connections to the Korumburra business precinct;
- Playground equipment;
- Trees and landscaping;
- Public toilets;
- Bike parking; and
- Outdoor entertainment area.