Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

Boundary Fences

Building a fence
If you would like to build a dividing fence (a fence built to separate two pieces of adjoining land) then you will need to:

  1. Check whether you need a permit or approval. CLICK HERE to see a diagram which shows the allowable fencing heights, without a building permit. On occasion, a planning permit may also be required to construct a fence, depending on the overlays affecting your property. If you are uncertain, please contact the Planning Team.
  2. If no approvals are required, you will then need to consult with your neighbour and fulfill all obligations under the Fences Act 1968.
  3. If you are unsure of who owns the land adjoining your property, you can complete a property request form.

For more information on the Fencing Act contact the Dispute Resolution Settlement Centre of Victoria.

Fencing disputes
Council cannot resolve fencing disputes.  Disputes that cannot be resolved between neighbours should be referred to the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV)

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria (DSCV) is a free dispute resolution service funded by the Victorian Government. DSCV provides mediation services, as well as training and accrediting mediators to national standards.