Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

Spotlight on Walkerville

Key Points in History

Date Key Point
1875 Limestone deposits found by the manager of the Yanakie Pastrol Station.
1880 William Walker, Collector of Customs purchased the Lime Kilns of which there were six.
1882 A school was opened for children of the Lime Kiln workers but closed in 1897 when enrolments fell to etight
1892 Known as Waratah Bay up until 1892
1926 Lime production ended
1968 Another school opened and later closed in 1982