Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

Local Laws

Local Laws Officers look after such issues as litter and footpath trading. Council has a Footpath Trading Code and a Local Law No. 1 permit may be required to place items on or above the footpath.

Items that require a permit outdoors include:

  • Goods for sale
  • Planter boxes
  • Advertising
  • Umbrellas, heaters, etc.
  • Furniture (i.e. tables and chairs)
  • Screens
  • Sandwich boards

Council may approve a permit for items on the footpath provided the items do not pose a significant risk to pedestrians or traffic, negatively impact on street aesthetics or impeded movement or access. If a permanent building fixture is needed, a building or planning permit may be required. To be eligible for a permit you must have public liability insurance.