Filming in South Gippsland
South Gippsland Shire is a film friendly location and Council understands the economic benefits of filming in the region. The Economic Development Unit is available to guide you through Council’s processes to ensure filming success.
Council is required to comply with state legislation (Filming Approval Act 2014) and Council’s filming approval process is consistent with VicScreen.
A film permit is required where filming occurs on land which is owned, managed, or under the care of South Gippsland Shire Council.
In order to accommodate small to large productions A Guide to Filming in South Gippsland has been developed. This Guide is quite detailed, therefore we recommend referring to the simple steps below to assist you to complete your Film Permit Application.
- Talk to Council’s Economic Development Unit prior to any application by contacting 03 5662 9200.
- Ensure you have current Public Liability Insurance. For student/community filming projects please discuss with council.
- Complete Film Permit Application
- Email support documentation via email to: email@example.com
We will process the Film Permit Application as soon as possible. Please note complex productions are likely to require more time.
Please note that filming in Wilsons Promontory National Park is managed by Parks Victoria who have their own permit process. Events and filming permits (parks.vic.gov.au)
Why Film in South Gippsland
South Gippsland's draw card is its magnificent scenery. It has attracted many filmmakers to the area over the years, including feature films, television series and commercials. Examples of these include:
- ABC series “Something in the Air” was filmed at Nyora
- ABC series “Bed of Roses” was filmed in Meeniyan and Foster
- Feature Film “Dying Breed” was filmed in Coal Creek Community Park and Museum located in Korumburra
- Feature Film “Long Weekend” was filmed in Wilson’s Promontory and Yanakie
- Television Series “Coast” Waratah Bay, Sandy Point and Walkerville
- Television commercials notably car commercials