Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

Property Preparation Permits and travel from Metro Melbourne

You can now apply for a Property Preparation Permit via Council’s website.

Click for more details

Spotlight on Korumburra

Key Points in History

Following the discovery of Coal in 1878 the Korumburra township was surveyed in 1887.

1846 Wild Cattle pastoral run
1878

Coal discovered near Korumburra

Farm selections at Coal Creek following establishment of towns at Jeetho, Nyora and Loch

1887 Township of Korumburra surveyed
1888 The Great Southern Railway commenced from Dandenong
1891

Great South Rail Trail reached Korumburra

New Shire of Jeetho and Poowong proclaimed

School opened

1890

Cordial factory, later Joe's softdrinks opened (closed 1986)

1892 First coal railed to Korumburra from Coal Creek mine
1901

Dairy, butter, cheese factory opened (closed 1975)

1914

St Josephs Catolic Primary School opened (Good Samaritan Sisters)

1920 Higher elementary school classes established
1922 Shire of Jeetho and Poowong renamed Shire of Korumburra
1930 Bush nursing hospital established
1954 High school opened
1991 Burra Foods open in the old dairy, butter factory
1993 Great Southern Railway closed