Storm Event Update
Please click here for updates on the storm response and available supports.Download the Latest Update
West Gippsland Floodplain Management Strategy 2016/17
In April 2016 the State Government released the Victorian Floodplain Management Strategy.
This document requires all catchment management authorities to prepare regional strategies in partnership with local government, emergency services and their local communities.
The West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority (WGCMA) is the lead agency responsible for preparing the West Gippsland Regional Floodplain Management Strategy. Aims of the Strategy include:
- Providing a single, regional planning document for floodplain management and a high level regional work program to guide future investment priorities.
- Helping agencies with flood emergency management functions.
- Assessing flood risk across the region against the regional community’s tolerance for flood risks.
- Exploring a range of mitigation measures for the identified risks.
- Consulting with relevant communities to use local knowledge and empower communities.
South Gippsland Shire Council is working in collaboration with other Gippsland Councils to assist the WGCMA’s preparation of the Strategy.
An important element of the Strategy is the capturing of local knowledge and opinions on flood risk and how flooding can be managed. To learn more about the preparation of the Strategy and how you can be involved in its preparation please see West Gippsland Catchment Management Authority.
It is important to note that this project does not affect the Land Subject to Inundation Overlay planning scheme mapping adopted by Council in May 2016.
Queries regarding the Strategy should be directed to the WGCMA. Any queries specifically regarding the involvement of the South Gippsland Shire Council in the preparation of the Strategy should be directed to Ken Griffiths Strategic Planning Coordinator on 5662 9236 and email firstname.lastname@example.org.