Skip to content Skip to search Skip to main navigation

Storm Event Update

Please click here for updates on the storm response and available supports.

Download the Latest Update

Open Air Burning

How do I get a permit to burn?
You will need to complete the following form.

There may be circumstances whereby Council will issue a permit to burn to landowners that cannot comply with the general open air burning regulations. Council gives due regard to the following when assessing permit applications:

  • The size of the land
  • That the land is in a designated bushfire risk area
  • That the burn off is strictly for fire prevention purposes only
  • The ability of the landowner to remove the vegetation via more appropriate methods
  • The proximity to neighbouring assets and property
  • The risk of smoke nuisance
  • Properties zoned Residential, Township, Low Density Residential, Commercial 1 and Mixed Use are NOT permitted to burn without a permit at any time of the year.

Landowners who are unsure as to their eligibility should contact the Council's Customer Service Officers on 5662 9200 before submitting a permit to burn application.

What are the general fire safety provisions when I am burning off?
Council asks all residents undertaking open air burning to do so in accordance with the following:

  • Give notice to adjoining landowners/occupiers at least 24 hours prior to the burn
  • Give notice to ESTA (Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority) 2 hours prior to the burn by calling 1800 668 511 (Prevents unnecessary response from fire brigades)
  • Establish a fire break of no less than 3 metres cleared of all flammable material
  • Ensure the fire is supervised by an adult at all times
  • Ensure there is sufficient fire protection/suppression equipment available on site at all times
  • Ensure the vegetation to be burnt is dead and dry prior to lighting (no green waste)
  • Ensure at the site of the fire, the wind speed does not exceed 20 kilometres per hour (11 knots)
  • Notify the Victorian Bushfire Line of your burn on 1800 240 667